These crackers have become a staple in my weekly meal prep. They are so simple and satisfying - the perfect vehicle for endless permutations of toppings! I've included some of my favorites below the recipe. The Everything But The Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe's is my personal favorite and even further streamlines the recipe. It also makes it a nutrient dense alternative to the traditional refined carb heavy classic NYC bagel. Don't get me wrong, those are great, too, but flaxseeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids and fiber which both do wonders for digestion, skin and hair.
1 cup flax seeds
1 cup water
2 tbsp coconut aminos
"Everything But The Bagel" Seasoning from Trader Joe's to taste (see variations below)
1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Let sit for 10 minutes or so, the flax seeds will start to "gel."
3. Spread out very thin on parchment paper lined dehydrator tray. This part will take the longest, slightly wet your fingers to prevent the flaxseed mixture from sticking.
4. Dehydrate at 115F for 15-20 hours or longer (you can't really overcook them). If you don't have a dehydrator, try the lowest setting on your oven and check periodically. Comment below if you try this way to let others know how it turns out!
5. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for maximum shelf-life and sustained crunch.
-Sub the coconut aminos for maple syrup and everything bagel spice for cinnamon for a sweet version
-Sub everything bagel spice for turmeric, black pepper, and cayenne for a spicy kick
-Sub everything bagel spice for italian seasoning blend (rosemary, basil, thyme, oregano)
-Kite Hill Almond Chive Cream Cheese and figs (fresh or dried)
-Avocado, tahini drizzle, and crushed red pepper
-Hummus and cucumber or roasted red peppers