Zoats? No, that wasn't a typo! Zoats are oatmeal packed with shredded zucchini to add volume and a boat load of nutrients to your morning porridge. Ok, so I know it may sound strange, but think of it like zucchini bread! I first fell in love with zoats making them with my best friend, who has the recipe on her blog. With the Nashville summer heat in full swing, I was craving something cool and refreshing instead. I had been making a lot of overnight oats and chia pudding so I did a little experimenting and merged it with my beloved zoats and BAM Overnight Zoats were born. The best part? It takes just 5 minutes of prep the night before and then you have a nutritious and delicious breakfast ready to grab and go!
1/2-3/4 grated zucchini (I used 1/2 a zucchini, chopped it and threw it in the food processor or blender on a low setting)
1/4 cup oats (optional, but an easier transition for those new to zoats and sometimes we need a extra boost of healthy carbs in the morning)
1/2-1 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup nondairy milk or coconut water
Your choice mix-ins (choose 2-3)*: 1 tbsp nut butter, coconut oil, 1 scoop plant-based protein powder, fresh or dried fruit, granola, chopped nuts, unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Combine grated zucchini, oats, chia seeds, and milk in a mason jar or glass container. Stir well and place in the fridge overnight.
2. In the morning, add your choice mix-ins and enjoy!
*My favorite combinations:
1. homemade cinnamon almond butter+vanilla protein powder
2. 2 tsp coconut oil+fresh peach slices+1-2 tbsp shredded coconut
3. 1 tbsp tahini+chopped dried figs or dates
Post your favorite creations in the comments!